Using compost when planting will greatly benefit the health of your plants. We carry several varieties of compost at Daniel’s Farm and Greenhouses including bulk compost from St. Louis Compost. We also have several varieties of Back to Nature Composts available in bags.
- Encourages healthy root systems
- Contains a full spectrum of essential plant nutrients often absent in synthetic fertilizers
- Releases nutrients slowly – over months or years, unlike synthetic fertilizers
- Retains fertilizers better
- Improves and stabilizes PH
- Improves soil structure
- Helps soil retain water
- Improves soil workability
- Feeds bacteria, fungi, insects, worms and other creatures in the soil that support healthy plant growth
- May suppress diseases and harmful pests that could overrun poor soil
- Improves soil porosity
- Supplies beneficial microorganisms to soils
- Can bind and degrade some pollutants
- Minimizes wind and water erosion
- Moderates soil temperatures, making plants less susceptible to extremes of heat or cold
- Compost creates enhanced microbial action in the soil
Click here for detailed instructions in properly applying the Back to Nature Composts we carry at Daniel’s Farm and Greenhouses.
We DO NOT recommend planting in 100% compost. Always mix at least 2/3 native soil with 1/3 compost.